Hong Kong health officials have urged residents not to drop their guard as the city did not record any new cases of Covid-19 for the third time in a week on Sunday, keeping the total infection at 1,037.
The daily press briefing was canceled as no new infections were recorded until 4 p.m. Sunday, the health ministry said.
Hong Kong also did not report any new cases on Friday and Monday
Health authorities have previously stated that contagion will only be considered controlled if no new cases are recorded during at least one or two incubation periods, from two weeks to one month.
“As the situation with Covid-19 remains serious and there is a continuing increase in the number of cases worldwide, the public is strongly urged to avoid all non-essential travel outside of Hong Kong,” said the Center for Health Protection on Sunday.
He also urged city residents to maintain social distance as much as possible to minimize the risk of infection.
“The CHP urges the public to maintain strict personal and environmental hygiene at all times, which is essential for protection against infection and for preventing the spread of the disease in the community.”
On Saturday, the Center for Health Protection announced that eight patients with coronavirus had tested positive for Covid-19 after their discharge from the hospital. Two other people, who had recently traveled to Britain, were confirmed infected on Saturday.